Google My Business – What Is It?
Google My Business is a free marketing tool that connects customers with businesses. It allows local businesses and organisations to manage their online presence in the Google Search and Maps.
Google My Business helps you to maintain a company’s local search results, local search results are those which are tailored to a geographic location and help users to find businesses that are nearby.
Importance of a GMB Listing
A Google My Business listing is incredibly important for local SEO as it enables your business to appear in local search results for queries specific to your products or services. The increased visibility of Google local listing results on mobile devices means that it’s essential for local SEO.
Google My Business plays an important role, brings up your business on the map and is an effective technique of bringing your website in the local search results.
Getting Started with a GMB Listing
To add a new listing, go to Google My Business and click on “Start Now”, login to with your Gmail email address and enter your business name and address in the Search Box.
If your business appears in the search then follow up with the claim ownership process else, create a new listing by adding your business information in Search. Once you’ve added your business information, Google send a verification code by postal mail, which usually arrives anytime between 6 business days to 3-4 weeks. Verify your business on Google and optimise your listing.
Adding Your NAP (Name, Address & Phone) Info
Make sure your NAP Info (Name, Address & Phone number) is accurate because it is displayed in the search results. Having accurate NAP info makes it easier for your potential customers/ users to find your business easily, without having to go through many pages of your website to find address.
Optimising Your Business Listing
Keep your business information up to date, such as business name, address, contact number, hours of operation, category and website. Add profile photo and timeline photo on your listing.
- Contact Details – Ensure that opening hours are correct
- Opening Hours – Ensure that opening hours are correct, week days, weekends and any public holidays.
- Website URL – Add accurate website address and verify it.
- Category – Add relevant category
- Pictures – Upload photos to your listing: profile photo, timeline photo, business photos – both interior and exterior. Make sure your pictures are clear and crisp as it probably goes without saying.
Optimise your location listing and you have more opportunity to rank higher in Google.
Google My Business uses many factors to determine the rankings for businesses and the most important ones are:
- Relevance – Based on the searchers intent and focuses on what the customer needs.
- Distance – Google determines which businesses to show in the local search and give rankings based on the distance.
- Prominence – Google determines the prominence based on the local content, photos and reviews. Make sure your listing is optimised for the local area.
Is it Required for My Business?
Google My Business is specifically designed for businesses that make in person contact with customers during specific opening hours.
- Eligible Businesses – For Google to determine that a business is eligible they must make in-person contact with customers during their stated business hours.
- Ineligible Businesses – Businesses that are either closed and under construction or haven’t opened to public yet. Business that operate solely online such as an online clothing boutique.
- Service Area Businesses – If your client does not have a physical business location, but instead your client travels to visit their customers at the customer’s location during specific business hours you can set up your client’s Google My Business account as a service area business.
What’s coming up next?
Google posts – A new feature that allows people and businesses to create content directly on Google which appears highly ranked in Google search results for their names. The Google post feature will allow customers to share daily specials, promote events, showcase top products and highlight new arrivals.
Text messaging feature – Chatting with customers is a new Google My Business feature that’s currently available in selected countries. This feature will allow customers to chat directly with the business within the search listing.
Managing Your Own GMB Listing
Have a GMB listing but not sure how to get started? Or if you have any queries about your listing, please feel free to drop us a line and we will get back to you.