How can we help you today?
How To Make Your Facebook Account Work After Apples iOS14 Update
In April 2021 Facebooks world was rocked by Apple’s new iOS14 changes to the privacy of its users. Most people this doesn’t even register as a thing, but if you are running Facebook Ads then this is really big for you and really bad for the results that you will see unless you make some best practices to your ad account.
Our Head of Product wrote this about these big changes for Facebook Advertising.
For those who don’t read that article we can sum up the changes in 3 points for you.
STEP 1. How to Verify your domain for Facebook
STEP 2. How to set-up Aggravated Events Measurement
STEP 3. How to set-up and connect the Conversion API with your web partner
Step 1 How We Verify Domains For Facebook & IOS14 Changes
How To Verify Domains for Facebook in WORDPRESS
- Go to Facebook Business Settings
- Go to Brand Safety
- Select Domains
- Add your domain (if not already added) use domain.com without the https or www parts.
- Select the verification method. There will be 3 options.
Using the meta-tag snippet method
Be Media can do this for you we should have the access we need to complete this step in the process.
Using DNS text records to verify
- Go to your domain registrar, log in to your account and find the DNS records section.
- Follow the instructions to add this TXT record in your DNS configuration:facebook-domain-verification=example123456789Note: Some domain registrars require the @ symbol in the host field.
- Use a DNS TXT lookup tool to confirm that the record has been updated across your servers before clicking Verify domain.
- Click Verify domain.Note: It may take up to 72 hours for the change to propagate across your servers. If the domain status is still “Not verified”, you’ll need to click Verify domain again.
The Third Method is to upload HTML file to the root
You may need a developer to help with this. Be Media can help do this but will require sufficient access.
- Download the HTML verification file. Do not modify this file once you’ve downloaded it.
- Upload the file to the root directory of this domain: https://example.com
- Your HTML verification file has uploaded successfully if you can see the verification code on your website: https://example.com.au/example123456789.html
- Click Verify domain.Note: It may take up to 72 hours for Facebook to find the HTML file in your root directory. If the domain status is still “Not verified”, you’ll need to click Verify domain again.
Step 1 | Confirm You Own Your Site Domain on Facebook
- Verify your domain on Facebook using the meta tag method. Note: It is not possible to upload an HTML file to confirm domain ownership.
- Copy your meta tag.
Step 2 | Add Your Facebook Meta Tag to Your Site
- Go to Settings in your site’s dashboard.
- Click Custom Code under Advanced Settings.
- Click Add Custom Code at the top right.
- Paste your Facebook meta tag in the text box.
- Enter a meaningful name for your code so you can quickly identify it later if needed.
- In Add code to pages, select All pages.
- In Place your code in, choose Head.
- Click Apply.
Step 3 | Return to Facebook to Complete Verification
The official Facebook Developers page – Read what Facebook advises for this
Step 2 How To Setup Aggregate Web Events In Facebook
A new change in how we track and measure events with the Facebook Pixel is aggregate web event measurement
This is a new change that requires you to pick the top 8 events you want to measure ranked from most important to not important.
In most instances, we can do this step but sometimes we don’t have access to complete the steps required.
Because Apple kicked off a crazy privacy scramble to protect user data we need to tell Facebook pixel what we think is the most important thing to get from our 8 events.
When you put an event as the highest priority that means when an Apple users turn off tracking the only event you will be able to get is the highest priority event.
You don’t get the other events. The user enabled tracking free browsing experience. This is bad for marketers 🙁
OUR RECOMMENDATIONS ARE:
For Service, Consultant and Lead Gen businesses these events make the most sense:
- Complete Registration
- View Content
For Ecommerce businesses these events make the most sense:
- Add Payment Info
- Initiate Checkout
- Add to Cart
- Complete Registration
- View Content
We recommend always having View Content as the lowest priority.
WARNING: If we edit the events and submit to go live the Ads will be off for 3 days while Facebook configures on their end. Non Negotiable
How To Set This Up
The Step By Step
- Go to Events Manager
- Select your Pixel
- Go to web events and then select the domain again
- Use event manager to add the pixel and event to track for the number of events you want to track
- Remember Highest Priority first
- Publish when ready
- Confirm *Ads will now be paused for 3 days
That’s it the pixel will now be tracking
You can run test events to see that it is working but 99.9% of the time its working right out of the gate.
Step 3 How To Set Up Facebook Conversions API
How To Set Up Facebook Conversions API (Shopify & Other Platforms)
implementing Facebook conversions API is the next trick up the marketer’s sleeve.
What is Facebook Conversions API and Why You Need it?
You’re probably familiar with Pixel and other tools that help you track web and offline events (your customer behavior and & actions) from Facebook servers to yours.
Facebook CAPI plays a major role in this data tracking. Thanks to the CAPI, you can:
- Track and measure a wide range of your customer data
- Track events accurately (no data lost due to ad-blocking tools, server or page crashes, etc.)
- Control when to share and what to share
With new privacy regulations rolling out to browsers worldwide, performance tracking of your ads becomes increasingly difficult.
For that reason, you should connect the server of your store directly to Facebook. This will keep your data intact and avoid any inconvenience, misinformation, or lack of information during the tracking.
Let’s find out how to set this up manually.
How to Set Up Facebook Conversions API on Shopify
To set up Facebook CAPI on Shopify, you first got to have administrator access to your business’s:
- Facebook Business Manager
- Your Business’/Brand Facebook Page
- Facebook Instagram account
Then, do the following:
- Go to your Shopify admin page.
- Click “Facebook” under “Sales Channels” on the left sidebar.
3. Select “Continue Setup.”
4. Log in to your Facebook account from Shopify (if you already haven’t). This will link your Business Manager, Facebook page, and Instagram account.
5. Go back to the “Facebook” tab to the left.
6. Click the “Settings” tab on the top left.
7. Click “Data sharing settings.”
8. Make sure that “Customer tracking” is enabled.
Then, make sure that the “Maximum” tracking is selected below.
And voila! You’re all prepared to track your Shopify data directly on Facebook.
How to Set Up Facebook Conversions API on Other Platforms
If you’re using another platform to power your ecom store (WordPress, WooCommerce, MakeShop, etc.), you can still implement conversions API.
This time, head to your Facebook business manager. Then, follow these simple steps:
- Click the three horizontal lines to the top-left of the screen to display the dropdown menu.
- Select “Events Manager.
3. Choose the desired business from the top-right.
4. Select the appropriate pixel under the “Data Sources” section.
5. Select the “Settings” tab.
6. Scroll down to the “Conversions API” section.
7. Click “Choose a Partner” under the “Set up through a partner integration.”
8. Select your ecom store’s platform from the list.
9. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up CAPI on your new platform.
And that’s it. Now you can track all conversions on the platform directly from your Facebook account.
Bonus Tip: If you’re using WordPress, you can also install Pixel Your Site plugin and set up the entire thing manually.
What If I’m Using a Platform That’s Not on Facebook’s Partner List?
Currently, only Shopify provides a quick and easy method to implement CAPI out of non-listed platforms.
Store builders like Big Commerce still don’t provide easy solutions as of yet. Most of the time you can contact your web developer and add the CAPI code directly to the website.
However, these recent happenings may propel certain platforms to simplify the process.
All we can do is wait.
How to Use Server Side Tagging In GTM
We are still exploring this method as its quite advanced and far from what we have been doing in the past.
If you do require a manual conversion API integration you can speak with our team about what that look like as we would need to arrange the billing for the Google Cloud account to host the server and the time to implement and test the integration.
Credit to Jack.P for the assist when this rolled out and no one had the answers.
“Facebook went into a spin the moment Apple announced the big changes with iOS14 and we didn’t get any guidance or information for what the best practices were or how to adjust campaigns. The biggest question we hear again and again is how do I fix Facebook Ads, can you help and Why doesn’t it work anymore. Well, the good news is that Facebook Ads are working but they just need the right configuration to perform. Welcome to Be Media.”
Quick Access To Most Common Questions
How do I provide Google Analaytics access?
How do I provide Google Tag Manager access?
How do I add you to Google Ads Manager?
How do I share Google Merchant Centre access?
How do I share my Google My Business with you?
How does GMB Verification work?
How to create and share Microsoft Ad Account
How to create and share Bing Webmaster Tools
How to create and share LinkedIn Account
How do I share my Facebook Ad Account with you?
How do I share my Facebook Pixel with you?
How do I share my Facebook Accounts with you?
How to create and share Pinterest Ad accounts
How to create and share Twitter Ad accounts
How to create and share Taboola Ad account
How to create and share Yahoo Gemini Ad account